All data gone on My Book Studio II

I got call from the data recovery center today. They told me that all the folder structures are gone. They’ll be able to retrieve some files without names. That’ll be a bunch of unnamed files and I don’t think I can reorganize 3TB. I’m very sad to hear that. Data gone forever. The compatiable problem did ruin the partition and raid information. There may be no solution for the data.

Mavericks has been tested for about a quarter. Do you guys from WD ever test it?

(monkey picture hilarious)

I found this -

For Mac

WD Software Uninstaller

Bad news pie chart :   :cry:

Data loss reason

screenshot_491.jpg

hi i havent bothered reading thru ur endless replies… just want to say i had the same experience… i started with stellar with no luck then used data rescue 3… the only thing i did diff was uninstall the WD manager first… i managed to recover 90% of the data on the drive but all of my critical drive organistation is lost along with (in the majority) date stamps and original file names.

catastrophe is an understatement.

For those of us with WD passport drives that use a password to protect it.  If I delete the WD smartware can I still use the drive that is password protected?  How does that work?

or should I mount the drive on a windows computer and remove the password for now?

Any suggestions.

Yes, you should be able to open it with WD Unlocker which is on the drive (not installed on your Mac).

I tried to recover the data using the ER provided by WD but my new Imac keep rebooting itself in the mid way rendering the scanning process aborted each time. I have tried  3 times which lasting for 3 days now.  So frustrated.

My MyBook Studio no longer connects via FW800 (no volumes appear on my desktop) and Time Machine says there have been no successful backups since Nov 3.  The WD drive is partitioned into a backup (Time Machine) volume and two storage volumes.  Am I screwed?

I got an e-mail from WD on November 6 indicating I should uninstall WD Drive Manager and other software. The uninstaller didn’t run, but I checked the WD website and saw an updated version of the uninstaller was posted on November 4 and I used the updated version to remove the WD software today (November 9).  I had upgraded to OS10.9 shortly after it was released.  

I sent a service request to WD since the drive is still under limited warranty.  

I haven’t tried the USB interface.  Is there any chance that I would mess things up further by trying the USB interface?

I must be one of the early victims to be hit with this disaster. I am still waiting to hear official word from WD and Apple since October 23 if there is any hope of restoring the original volume. Computer people I talked to says there is not, but I am still crossing my fingers.

During this time I tested EasyRecovery, Disk Drill and Data Rescue 3 and non could recover original file names and directory structure.

Update:  I tried the USB interface but the WD drive is not recognized or mounted.  I also booted my iMac into Snow Leopard, but the WD drive was not recognized.  Finally, I tried connecting the drive to another computer (OS10.9, but no WD software installed) and the drive was not recognized.  

Obviously, I can’t try any utilities or recovery software until I can get the drive to mount.  

WD reports that my case has been escalated, so I hope to hear back from them soon.

Update 2:  WD Level 2 support called today (a holiday in the USA) and tried to run some remote diagnostics on my WD drive.  Since it would not mount, they couldn’t do much, of course.  They asked me to try both the FW800 and USB cables and try two different computers (one with 10.9 and one with 10.8).  The drive would not mount on either of them, although I could hear it spinning and the heads moving.  He seemed satisfiedl that there was nothing more he could do remotely.  

WD indicated that they will send me a new drive and attempt data recovery on the old one.  

I also mentioned that I have a second My Studio drive that is attached to another 10.9 Mac, which does not have any WD software installed.  WD support indicated that the second drive should be fine but stopped short of confirming that having WD software installed on an attached Mavericks computer is *required* for this problem to occur.  

I also spoke with Applecare Level 2 last night.  The Level 1 guy said he wasn’t aware of this problem, but when I gave him Bug Report numbers, references to discussions in Apple Support Communities, and Radar numbers, he passed me along to Level 2.  The fellow at Applecare level 2 suggested that (I’m paraphrasing here) loss of the parition table should still leave all of the files recoverable with all of their characteristics (such as file name) intact.  He says that’s one feature of the file system used by Apple.  

i’ve got to say that I’ve been pleased with WD’s prompt and thorough support. Of course, I would rather this problem hadn’t occured at all.  

Yes, in my case I was able to recovery the whole data structure in my lost HFS+ partition using ‘Data Rescue 3’ from Prosoft.

Yes it is Mavericks OS.

It happened to my Buffalo Linkstation Duo Pro RAID 0 when I used Mavericks to mount and read the drive.

I am so disgusted with Apple Mac and their response.

The drives are not faulty nor is the raid and the data is unrecoverable. In fact Mavericks makes sure of that by bypassing the trashbox on the drive. Luckikily it was the back up and still had the original data.

So after backing up again, I tried the other Buffalo Linkstation, and it did the same thing.

I am switching to PC/Win & Linux. This is what bought me to the forum to ask about the my old WD external drives and advise about taking them out, of their enclousres and putting them in a PC.

Apple Mac never again. It’s not just inconvineine, it was Apple’s petulant, arrogant and liabilty averse attitude.

All the best…

Please, please help me!!

I have the same problem with
WD MyBook Studio II - RAID 1 - Firewire 800 - 2 TB - HFS+ (Journaled)

I scanned the hard drive using R-Studio
http://www.data-recovery-software.net/Data_Recovery_Download.shtml

This program has found 3,000,000 files. But!! there is no file names or structures.
Any solution?

;( never… never again

deepthought42 wrote:

Yes it is Mavericks OS.

It happened to my Buffalo Linkstation Duo Pro RAID 0…

What *exactly* happened?

And you are sure that there was no WD software installed?

I too have lost all my data last night.

MyBook Studio II (2 x 3GB WD Caviar Green drives) - connected by Firewire 800 to my MacBook Pro Retina running Mac OS 10.9.

Drive just appeared on the desktop as “MyBook” with an “EFI” volume also on the desktop. Nothing in them - all “3GB available”.

Went searching for information and came across this forum.

I have used the uninstaller to remove the WD files on my machine, but now need to get my data back.

Very, very, very unimpressed (to say the least) and deeply empathising with a lot of other people on this forum right now.

Can someone from WD please advise me on what I can do in Australia?

Thank you.

If I remove the WD software from my MAC will all these problems be prevented? Or am I still at risk?

I have been given system recovery software by WD, which I could use to (try) and recover my data. This yielded a lot of recovered files, but with a lost directory structure. I have now been offered (free) data recovery by a third party, has anyone had a similar offer and was the result a fully recovered hard drive?

I am very interested to hear any full recovery (or failure) stories of “erased and renamed to MyBook” drives by recovery experts, also. I was offered the same but have not sent the drive yet.

Update 3.  WD sent me a UPS return slip and I shipped my drive to a data recovery service in California.  I’ll report to this thread what happens.

Calpike, is the recovery service Kroll Ontrack? Looking at your previous messages, I believe your drive did not have the “erased and renamed to MyBook” issue.