Alaska Theme for WDTV Live Streaming (Revised 3-12-12)

Hi

This looks interesting, and have not had time to download and try or look at the coding yet.

So this may be a silly question, if so sorry.

If you have found a way and the  ability to change the background by looking at different parameters in  the weather.xml. Could the method you are using for this, be extended to change the background with other parameters. May be even changing the background depending on what folder is highlighted ? Different background for folders is something that SMP users have wanted all along. Guess I am dreaming a bit.

Thanks

@tony0204

The home screen changes based on the current weather conditions.  To do this, the file “inc_weather.xml” was modified along with the stock weather images in the image/accu_weather folder.  For example, the original theme would show a small sun next to the temperature if it was sunny out.  What I did was change that small image into a large image and modified the xml file to display a fullscreen image. Hopefully that makes sense.

In regards to having a specific image displayed for a specific folder, like movies/action, I really don’t know if its possible or not.  I’ll take a look though and see if I can find something that works.

Thanks desertwedge, I download and had a look at .xml’s, understand what you are doing, its good lateral thinking. Was just thinking if the inspiration you had for this could be exploited in different ways. The fact that you are using a large image for one that was intended to be small image and that it works, may have possibility’s for other things.

@tony0204,

JoeySmith actually discovered this feature some time back.  You could certainly do something similar for other small icons within the theme.  I actually am using this same method to change the backdrop for the different menu items (music, movies, settings, etc.).  

Would it be possible to load just your video browse part of the theme? I actually like the main screen the way it is, but hate all the white space when browsing videos… Just curious, thanks

Hi,

As a newbie here I am clueless as to install the Alaska theme on the WD TV Live Gen 3. Nowhere have I found a straight forward and easy to understand step by step guide on how to do this. If you have some spare time could you please explain the procedure…

Thank you for this theme.

How can I change the dim effect on non-selected items (like the previous release of Alaska) ?

I tried editing some XML and PNG but nothing seems to work.

I really appreciate your help.

@douglaslad

I’ll try to help out here.  A lot of this information can also be found in the manual.

1. Download whatever theme it is you want to install.  The theme should be a zip tile (theme_name.zip).

2. Your WDTV Streaming needs to be connected to your network so it can via a internet browser.  Once connected to your network,  you’ll need to know the ip address of your WDTV Streaming.  If you don’t know the ip address of your device, go to the setup menu on the device and then to network settings.  Then go to network setup.  This will list your ip address.  You don’t need to change anything on this page so just exit to the home page.

3. Once you have your device’s ip address, you’ll need to open up a new window on an internet browser.  Type in the ip address of your device in the new tab.  A window should open up showing a log in page. Type “admin” (no quotes) in the password box, click on the “I accept the terms…” box and hit enter.  

4. You should now have a page where you have several options to choose from, you want “appearances”.  Click on this link.

5. You’ll have a box pop up that says “user interface theme”.  Click browse & navigate to the location of the zip file you downloaded in step 1.  Then click “submit”.

6. If everything goes well,  after a few minutes you should be presented with a message that something to the effect of “update successful”.

7. Turn on your wdtv streaming device to see the updated theme.  

Hope this helps.  Feel free to ask more questions if you have them.

@Manarch:

The dim effect is created by the border for the non-selected items.  If you look into the image files for specific views, for example video, you’ll see an image file named “video_gallery_thumbnail_bg.png”.  This file makes the thumbnail grayed out.  If you modify this file, the images will not appear grayed out anymore.  Or another alternative would be to just delete this file & rmake a copy of the file named “video_gallery_thumbnail_f.png” and rename the copy of hte file to   “video_gallery_thumbnail_bg.png”.   Either way, you would probably want to redo the video_gallery_thumbnail_f.png" file to something besides black so it standouts when highlighted.

@RugerRedhawk:

Try this:   Video Only  

1 Like

Hey thanks a ton! I’ll give this a shot when I get home tonight

Thank you for your help Desertwedge, followed your instructions but unfortunately had no luck with the final outcome, nothing happened when I submitted the zip file which may be because I am using  the latest firmware 1.07.15. Shall try a roll back to an earlier edition and see what happens. Again thank  you for your help.

@douglaslad:

Shouldn’t require a firmware roll-back.  What is your web browser saying/showing after you to try to update. Does it say something like “update successful” or “update fail”?  If it is says update sucessful, you may need to do a complete power down of the device (hold power button for 3 seconds or longer) & then restart the device.  Good luck.

When I submit the file I get the message " please wait " and it stays at that , no "fail " or " successful " message. I am almost certain that I am not carrying out the right procedure as regards extracting the file which downloads as a rar file.

Try it in chrome or firefox it doesnt work for me in IE9

downloads as a zip here and installs fine via Firefox

@douglaslad:

Not sure which theme you are downloading, but for the live streaming, the theme should be in a .zip file.  Look inside the rar file you have & see if there is a zip file inside it.  Inside the zip file the structure should be .xml files with two folders (image & screenshot).  If this is not the structure you have inside your theme, then it won’t work.

Thanks!

I am finetuning your theme for my own convenience and I am really thankful for all the work you put into this, it must have taken you days, perhaps weeks of work to create this.

Try this,

I always unzip the theme first, you will then find a main folder i.e Alaska with 2 sub folders and alot of xml files. I then rezip the two sub folders (but NOT the main folder) and all the xml files, and then load it via google chrome. 

Cheers

@Dikkiedikdik

Glad to hear you enjoy.