480i over Component?

One more vote for 480i over Component. WD should definitely deliver what it promises. The manual clearly says it supports 480i over Component whereas in reality it does not.

1 Like

how can you say that wd tv live analog component at 480i or 576i is a fake component out, similar or worse than composite, since noone can test or compare it and this setting is still not enabled in the system video options?

Argue with datasheets why the analog YPbPr component out of the wd tv live is a fake component or it is BULL**bleep**(the only case you could be right is that the component converter is in cascade after the composite out, so please post the datasheets of the wd tv and chipset if you own them…).

In all other cases colour space is YUV, converted directly from digital and U V chrominance component are compressed but a component YUV colour is surely better than the equivalent resolution composite signal where everithing is mixed.

Component resolution at 480i or 576i is the same as composite but  composite gives more flickering due to the mixing of the luminance with chrominance. And the chrominance component has more noise after the mixing with the luma.

Component image is surely more stable and colours are better because the signals are separated. 

These are the facts…we are waiting for the datasheets…

2 Likes

One more vote for 480i over Component. WD

2 Likes

FYI I got tired of waiting with no response from WD, I returned my WD TV Live for a refund and bought a competitor’s player. It supports component out on my older TV and works great. I saved money over the WD product as well. It’s unfortunate that WD doesn’t seem to pay much attention to customer concerns about their product.

1 Like

This new box you bought, have you noticed a big difference in the higher quality component picture compared to the wd composite? Or is it just very marginal? Should I be following your route?

1 Like

Just sent a request as a Idea, please vote/kudo for it here:

http://community.wdc.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-Ideas/480i-over-Component/idi-p/12938

1 Like

Interlace 480i and 576i over component out

Now for a long time enough was discussed whether WD TV LIVE interlace video component out gives or not. It functioned not because WD that did not plan this!

• That is the conditions 2.4.2010.

• The time is ripely that WD give this function over a firmewareupdate finally supplies now.

• Ours is “geduld” (german sorry) to ends!!!

Above all the user of old CTR´s TV of tubes and that always still are several thousands still run! Thus now the WD-team must supply  this image quality now!!!:smiley:

And dont forget we need:

1. DVD-Menus
  2. APE and WV lossless audio support
  3. DV-Video support 

Interlace Video 480i/576i/720i over component ? No HDCP!

Is is illegal to want better quality picture from the component out of WD TV Live?

I have found in a other threat something:

no HDCP

"The main problem with trying to convert (digital) HDMI/DVi to (analog)RGB/component video is It’s Illegal - doesn’t mean it can’t or isn’t being done - you’re just not likely to find converters on legitimate websites - and they are expensive because of the limited clientel (pirates) - you can convert Component to RGB - easily… "

Ok a Converter from Component to RGB i build with IC MAX4451, but the problem is (for my old TV with RGB in) he need interlace videosignal and this is not comming from the WD TV Live over component, only from the fu… composite out.

Is this (illegal because the HDCP?) the reason why WD not give us the better quality over component or comes in future firmwareupdate?

Thanks for answer

Anna

Anna1 wrote:

Interlace Video 480i/576i/720i over component ? No HDCP!

Is is illegal to want better quality picture from the component out of WD TV Live?

I have found in a other threat something:

no HDCP

"The main problem with trying to convert (digital) HDMI/DVi to (analog)RGB/component video is It’s Illegal - doesn’t mean it can’t or isn’t being done - you’re just not likely to find converters on legitimate websites - and they are expensive because of the limited clientel (pirates) - you can convert Component to RGB - easily… "

Ok a Converter from Component to RGB i build with IC MAX4451, but the problem is (for my old TV with RGB in) he need interlace videosignal and this is not comming from the WD TV Live over component, only from the fu… composite out.

Is this (illegal because the HDCP?) the reason why WD not give us the better quality over component or comes in future firmwareupdate?

Thanks for answer

Anna

This thread is about not having component output at 480i / 576i which the standard definition for NTSC / PAL receivers. The WDTV does support the higher HD output over component up to 1080i. So to answer your question, no its not illegal to have HD component and it is implemented in the WDTV.

At the present 480i / 576i is only implemented on composite output and the people on this thread would like to see it also on component so they could get a slightly better picture.

1 Like

I badly need this option. This must be part of next firmware release.

1 Like

More votes the better ! 

3 Likes

Your post sounds more like an Idea or a Feature Request. The best place for this is in our Ideas Lab. This way someone from WD will be sure to see it. However, I would search first and make sure that there isn’t another idea similar to yours that you could add your post to and vote on.

Ideas Lab
http://community.wdc.com/t5/community/categorypage/category-id/idea

1 Like

It has been already submited  http://community.wdc.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-Ideas/480i-over-Component/idi-p/12938

2 Likes

Yes its there, but I don;t see anyone saying that its going to happen?

1 Like

icedT wrote:

Yes its there, but I don;t see anyone saying that its going to happen?

It may not, its only got 5 votes.

we need more votes, please!!!

1 Like

Umm… I have a rather old projection TV, and the solution (in my case) was to select 1080i instead. The “i” seems to be the more important option, and the picture is very clear this way - particularly compared to a composite picture.

FWIW…

For that to work, you’d need a high-end “old” TV which supported high def (or the closest thing to it) back in the days of projection TVs, ie. 1080i. Most standard CRTs can’t do better than 480i.

Is there any other way to vote on this, an online  pole of some sort?

icedT wrote:

Is there any other way to vote on this, an online  pole of some sort?

You really must read the complete thread. The voting link was only posted a few messages up from your post.>   http://community.wdc.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-Ideas/480i-over-Component/idi-p/12938>